Sunday, April 14, 2013

April, 2012 Letter

17 April, 2012

U.S.A. Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Kansas City, MO 64999-0002

Copies to : Rep. Chaka Fattah, Senator Bob Casey, Senator Patrick J. Toomey, President Barack Obama
To my government representatives,

I am a member of the Religious Society of Friends. Since the 17th century, we Friends have tried to live out our testimony of God’s desire for peace, both within ourselves and with all of God’s children. I am writing to tell you that I can no longer pay for war, and I ask you to do all in your power to change our country’s direction along the war path.

My faith is central in my life. My belief in God’s power to transform ALL of us, no exceptions, and my attempts to follow Jesus’ teachings and commandments, have led me to spend most of my life working for peace and justice. For 29 years as I paid my taxes as required by U.S.A. law, the amount of taxes paid for war has continued to increase. This goes directly against my deeply held religious beliefs, and my conscience will no longer allow me to continue paying. I can not on the one hand say in letters and peace demonstrations that I oppose war, while on the other hand pay for war.

I do not make this decision at all lightly. I know of the good things our government can do with my money. I believe in supporting each other in community, and I see taxes as a method of doing that. I support the idea of paying taxes for peaceful purposes. That is why it pains me to have to take this step. However, I see no other way to stop paying for murder.

I have already paid over 80% of my taxes for 2011. Meanwhile, a long list of human needs in our own country and abroad are going unmet for millions of people. In addition to other actions to work for peace, I am now adding my refusal to write a check for war. As much as I value human laws, I believe that God’s laws must come first, and God tells us, “Thou shalt not kill.”

According to my tax form, I currently owe $548.00. This year I will donate at least $548.00 to Friends Peace Teams, a group working to heal the wounds of war and prevent future wars in various parts of the world.

As my representatives, I urge you to think deeply about what changes need to be made to live out God’s command to love our neighbors.


In peace,
Susan Lee Barton

No comments:

Post a Comment